Chief Executive Officer – Explore Edmonton
Explore Edmonton, Edmonton’s Destination Management and Marketing Organization (DMMO), respectfully acknowledges that they are located within Treaty 6 Territory and Métis Nation of Alberta Region 4. They acknowledge the land as the traditional home for many Indigenous Peoples including the Cree, Blackfoot, Métis, Nakota Sioux, Dene, Saulteaux, Anishinaabe, Inuit and many others whose histories, languages, and cultures continue to influence our vibrant community.
As an organization, Explore Edmonton strives for excellence in everything they do, resulting in two award-winning venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre and the Edmonton EXPO Centre, both which are managed by Explore Edmonton.
They proudly help tell Edmonton’s story, elevate the Edmonton experience, and drive inbound visitation, tourism and economic development, year-round.
Working together in a one-team approach aligned by their core values, Explore Edmonton strategically works to market and sell Edmonton as a year-round destination to visit, live, work, and play. Supporting the development of transformational experiences that have a uniquely Edmonton flavour, they are well positioned to attract visitors, major events, meetings, and conventions to our city, generating greater economic impact and social benefit, through a sustainable approach.
Explore Edmonton is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity and access, and recognizes that those ideals support service excellence. As an essential element of their DNA, Explore Edmonton welcomes the unique contributions that candidates can bring in terms of diverse backgrounds and lived experiences, and encourages applications that represent the diversity of their community.
For further information on Explore Edmonton, please visit their website at https://exploreedmonton.com/
|Job Title:||Chief Executive Officer|
|Reports to:||Board of Directors|
|Direct Reports:||6: Vice President, People & Culture |Vice President, Business Tools & Processes |Vice President, Destination Development & Marketing |Vice President, Business Development & Venue Management | Director, Strategic Communications & Partnerships | Executive Assistant|
|Indirect Reports:||Approximately 165|
The Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) reports to the Board of Directors and guides the organization in carrying out the vision, strategy, and objectives of the Board via the Tourism Master Plan while creating formal mechanisms to measure the progress and success of the initiatives coming out of that Plan. This dynamic CEO will act as the face and ambassador of the organization while actively promoting Edmonton on a local, national, and global level.
Explore Edmonton is at a critical inflection point, with a new laser-focused mandate. The CEO will drive innovative and transformative thinking in developing and disrupting Edmonton’s destination brand while supporting our visitor economy through the unprecedented challenges presented by COVID-19. As a leader and catalyst, the CEO will ensure Explore Edmonton strengthens awareness, appreciation, and visitation of Edmonton as a desired destination to live, work and play.
- Inspires and supports the team to success through a compelling vision, an empowering approach, appropriate goals and measures of success, evaluation of outcomes, and celebrations of success.
- Creates an environment that encourages continuous improvement and learning, and ongoing skill development.
- Leads with integrity, fairness, and transparency; champions diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging throughout the organization and within the larger visitor economy ecosystem.
- Actively cultivates a “one team” culture in which silos are prevented, and actions and decisions are laser-focused on growing the visitor economy.
- Supports the Board’s mandate and vision as set out in the Tourism Master Plan by ensuring alignment of key stakeholders, as well as the establishment of operational plans that will position Edmonton favorably as the visitor economy reopens, and long into the future.
- Empowers the Board to govern effectively by communicating regularly, accurately and transparently about organizational risks and opportunities.
- Cultivates a collaborative and productive relationship with the shareholder, the City of Edmonton, and ensures that Explore Edmonton’s vision and activities are in alignment with and are supportive of their economic development priorities.
- Establishes and maintains positive and productive relationships with all stakeholders. Invites partnership with new stakeholders and generally works collaboratively within the visitor economy ecosystem.
- Maintains ongoing alignment with Explore Edmonton’s organizational mandate, vision and mission which are supportive of the growth of the visitor economy and tie into the Tourism Master Plan.
- Empowers and inspires the Senior Leadership Team to new levels of efficiency and creativity by providing the support, tools, and environment required to drive major events, meetings & conventions, and venue sales.
- Demonstrates exceptional financial stewardship by driving favorable financial results, and operational efficiency while managing financial risk.
- Amplifies overall economic development by working closely with the City of Edmonton, Edmonton Global, Government of Alberta, Edmonton International Airport, industry partners and other stakeholders to identify and capitalize on emerging opportunities.
- Demonstrates collaboration and leadership in relationships with national and provincial tourism partners, as well as with other destination marketing organizations.
- Utilizes appropriate KPIs as well as evidence-based analysis to drive strategic decision making.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Establish and nurture strong relationships with the Board of Directors, staff, Edmonton City Council, Government of Alberta, Travel Alberta, Destination Canada, and other stakeholders within the visitor economy ecosystem.
- Build trust and buy-in from the Senior Leadership Team that is evidenced by strong organizational results and a cohesive approach to projects.
- Develop and execute, to the extent permitted, a strategy to support businesses in a post-COVID-19 re-opening or re-launch.
- Demonstrate measurable progress in executing the Tourism Master Plan.
The successful candidate will have the following or will have an equivalent combination of skills and experience:
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field such as business, marketing, etc.
- Graduate-level education is welcomed.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience operating in a senior/executive level leadership role.
- Successful track record of leading senior level teams and/or large projects or strategic initiatives.
- Experience reporting to a Board of Directors, or strong knowledge of governance issues.
- Proven track record of success driving innovation that supports the achievement of strategic priorities.
- Previous leadership experience within the tourism/visitor economy sector is an asset.
- Prior success in adeptly navigating a diverse, multi-stakeholder environment.
- Experience in strategic marketing or branding is an asset.
Competencies and Attributes
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and disciplined, you thrive amongst high performers, motivated by their commitment as they are inspired by your vision.
- A strategic thinker who can engage and inspire the team to be creative in their approach to lifting Edmonton’s visitor economy initiatives.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial acumen with the capacity to seek and secure opportunities.
- Exceptional communication skills utilizing multiple media with the aptitude to deliver an appropriate messaging to diverse audiences and stakeholder groups.
- Superior relationship-builder with an authentic and influencing style that allows others to see the alignment of interests.
- Leadership style that is supportive of talent in achieving results and supports the development of increased organizational capacity.
- Understands and models a commitment to integrity, inclusion, diversity, equity, and access.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AATBD-672031 Chief Executive Officer – Explore Edmonton - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.