Chief Executive Officer | Engineers Without Borders Canada
Engineers Without Borders is a Canadian not-for-profit organization whose mission is to bring people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We connect those living in poverty with the opportunities they need to improve their lives. We do so by supporting the social enterprises that serve their needs, by educating people about de-colonized approaches to global development and by advocating for improved development related policies in Canada. In doing so, we aim to create a world in which every individual has access to the opportunities needed to thrive.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will be responsible for the strategic, operational and fiscal leadership of the organization. We are seeking a vibrant, exceptional leader who will appreciate the organization’s history and accomplishments to date, then uncover new ways to build on that solid foundation by further shaping the strategy and future of EWB, strengthen its global impact and grow the organization to its next level.
Chief Executive Officer
- Work with the Board to develop a 5 year organizational strategic plan, and oversee its implementation.
- Guide EWB’s strategy and oversee its operational execution.
- Curate, cultivate and steward the EWB Canada brand globally, to position EWB to change the systems that reinforce extreme poverty and inequitable development.
- Attract, manage, invest in and motivate a high-performing team of staff and volunteers.
- Represent EWB Canada publicly and amongst its membership, and embody EWB’s mission, vision and values.
- Building partnerships for EWB across NGOs, business, government, social justice, philanthropic, investment and other organizations in Canada and globally.
- Grow and shepherd the community of EWB supporters across Canada, including donors, volunteers and centres of influence.
- Build financial resilience; grow and diversify revenue sources.
- Be recognized as the primary public voice for Canadian engineers in international development who seek to create social justice in Canada and around the world.
A successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to lead an organization of EWB’s complexity.
- University undergraduate degree in Engineering, International Development, Globalization Sustainability, Economics or equivalent work experience.
- A graduate degree in a related discipline such as International Development & Relations, Public Policy, Environment, Sustainability and/or Globalization would be an asset.
- Alignment with EWB’s mission of tackling poverty and inequality.
- Proven management and/or governance experience resulting in progressively senior roles, including but not limited to senior management and executive level positions within a corporate, government or not for profit setting.
- Experience working or volunteering within organizations with a social change mandate, including not-for-profit, business, advocacy or political/government sectors.
- Track record of success leading a team to achieve organizational and impact goals.
- Ability to shape, build, retain and lead a cohesive team with experience coaching individuals to surpass their goals.
- A thorough understanding of Canadian registered charitable not for profit corporations.
- A history of fundraising including the cultivation and stewardship of major donors.
- Fluency in English is a must, and proficiency in French is highly desirable. Additional language skills would be an asset.
- Current ability to work and reside in Canada.
Competencies and Attributes
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written and presentation.
- The ability to effectively build and advance strong, productive collaborative relationships.
- A creative thinker who engages in data-driven decision making to assess results against strategic objectives.
- Understanding or exposure to systems thinking, systems change and/or systems change leadership.
- Understands the Canadian political environment, government decision making, grant making, and funding allocation processes for not-for-profit organizations.
- Substantial understanding of advocacy and marketing campaigns.
- Broad knowledge of international development and international affairs.
- Direct experience working in communities anywhere (including Canada) to help local communities gain economic and social independence and reduce the consequences of poverty.
- Experience living and working in Africa would be an asset.
- Current ability to work and reside in Canada.
We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, Black people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. EWB is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Should you require any accommodation, please inform us and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, requests for information in accessible alternative formats or to report any accessibility problems, please contact us at the address below.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: HRCCCanada.GBS.TorontoES@ajg.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ADYE-371065 Chief Executive Officer | Engineers Without Borders Canada - ON - Toronto and GTA (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.