Chief Executive Officer – Empower Environmental Solutions Ltd.
Our client, Empower Environmental Solutions Ltd. Is a private industrial recycling company that has developed a proprietary process technology for the recycling of asphalt shingles and the extraction and recovery of asphalt cement, fiberglass/ felt and mineral aggregates to be sold and used in the asphalt pavement, shingle manufacturing and construction products applications. Their mission is to become the leading solution provider by extracting 100 percent of the compounds from asphalt shingles in North America.
Empowers primary production facility is nearing completion in Delta, British Columbia with production expected to commence in the first quarter of 2021. With a low-cost and abundant supply of raw material, local and regional government support, and a western Canadian product agreement in place, Empower is positioned well for rapid expansion. They plan to operate multiple recycling and oil extraction facilities in strategic locations throughout Canada and the USA. Each facility is highly automated with low labor requirements.
The company will partner with asphalt paving companies, shingle manufacturers, roofing contractors and waste management companies to allow them to reduce costly disposal fees while extending the useful life of landfills and reducing other environmental issues associated with disposing of petroleum based shingles.
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: (3) President, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer
Indirect Reports: (1) Senior Engineer and Various Contractors
Location: Vancouver, BC, Calgary, AB, or Toronto, ON
The Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) leads the execution of strategy to transition Empower Environmental Solutions Ltd. through an IPO and be the direct interface between investors in the capital markets. The CEO seeks to understand the opportunity in the capital markets and local, regional, and federal government regulations to ensure the strategy and goals of Empower are aligned with the opportunity to become an industry market leader in North America.
The CEO provides executive leadership to the organization in pursuit of the goals and objectives as established by the Board of Directors and works closely with the senior management team and the Board to expand process facilities across Western Canada in the first phase of Empower’s rapid expansion strategy.
The focus of the CEO’s role is to lead the organization through an IPO and execute on the rapid growth strategy.
While executing on the rapid growth strategy, the CEO remains accountable to provide leadership to the operations of Empower. This includes leadership and / or oversight to:
- Providing strong leadership while serving as the face of the company with investors and directing them toward rapid expansion.
- Providing the Board with information needed for the governance responsibilities, including risk management, strategic planning, infrastructure and asset management, resource development, monitoring performance and measuring strategic results.
- Overseeing the management of operating and capital budget consistent with the development of a growth asset portfolio and $8 million in investor capital, ensuring operations are consistent within operating plans and within budgets.
- Evolving and implementing strategic vision and a comprehensive strategic plan to support strategic initiatives and company growth.
- Developing and maintaining healthy relationships with the Board of Directors and all shareholders including senior management, staff, suppliers, and retail investors.
- Effective stakeholder engagement to regulatory engagement to ensure the strategies of Empower are advanced.
- Overall effective financial management of the organization.
Opportunities and Attractions
- Unmatched transformational leadership opportunity.
- Working with an excellent Board of Directors and a strong senior leadership team with a depth of experience in the industry, and in successfully scaling business models through IPO and capital asset expansion.
- Role mandate will have high impact in an emerging sector within the Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) industry.
- Exciting growth business in a fund market with increasing investment into ESG backed by retail investor demand.
First Year Deliverables
- Achievement of 2021 business plan goals such as fundraising milestones including successful and ongoing audit of financials and ensuring plant meets operation and production marks.
- Articulation of a transformation roadmap, including 2022 business plan with steps towards achieving mutually agreed upon milestones.
- Bringing the unique and compelling Empower story directly to institutional and retail investors.
- Results that build confidence within the shareholder group and industry related ESG funds, analysts, and regulatory bodies.
- The CEO holds a bachelor or master’s degree in: Business, Finance or Commerce of the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of ten years’ experience in a senior management capacity including experience in corporate development, capital markets and/ or private equity, venture capital or investment banking.
- Direct experience leading a private organization through an IPO and executing on transformation strategies which may come from a range of industries, preferably the investment banking sector. This includes navigating strategy execution through ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Strong understanding of good corporate governance principles and practices.
- Deep knowledge of financial and enterprise risk management. This includes the ability to identify, assess and adequately mitigate critical risks (strategic, process, technology, people, political and shareholder) associated with the current and future business model and ensures appropriate controls and strategies are in place to address identified risks.
- Change leader, effective engagement of local, regional, and national stakeholders in pursuit of stewarding growth in an emerging industry.
- Evidence-based decision making, able to leverage organizational and industry data to identify trends, potential needs, and opportunity.
- Excellent communication skills, with an effective balance of confidence and humility.
Communication and Persuasion Skills
- Communicating clearly and effectively, the CEO demonstrates the ability to negotiate and persuade skillfully in difficult situations, thoughtfully identifying creative solutions.
Leads Decisively to Achieve Results
- The CEO acts assertively, decisively, and timely. He or she effectively balances the needs of the Board to the needs of the team and leads a performance culture where all employees are fully accountable. This includes holding themselves and others accountable to make the difficult decisions required to ensure the business is most appropriately aligned to deliver on the future mandate.
Is a Change Leader
- The CEO keeps the organization focused on the big picture reason for growth. He or she understands competing agendas and through skilled relationship building can persuade and influence others to support a course of action. He or she works to advance change through collaboration throughout and beyond the organization and can course correct when unexpected challenges arise.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ASRK-615581 Chief Executive Officer – Empower Environmental Solutions Ltd. - AB - Calgary and AreaBC - Vancouver and AreaON - Toronto and GTA (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.