Chief Executive Officer – Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board Chair/Interim Chair
Location: Edmonton, AB
Responsible to the Board, the Chief Executive Officer will provide leadership and oversee the development and implementation of the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Growth Plan. This position will also be responsible for the development of policies and practices to guide the Board’s activities in the future. The Chief Executive Officer will lead a team of professionals whose roles are to assist the Board and its working committees/task forces in the preparation and implementation of the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Growth Plan.
The Chief Executive Officer reports to the Chair/Interim Chair of the Board and in his or her absence, reports to the Vice Chair/ Interim Vice Chair.
The Chief Executive Officer will promote awareness of mandates, goals, and established outcomes of the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board and develop/maintain effective relationships with key municipal administrators in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region, government officials and key stakeholders.
The Capital Region Board was created in April 2008 with the promulgation by the Province of Alberta of the Capital Region Board Regulation. This was updated with the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Growth Board Regulation in October 2017. The Board is a growth management board under the Municipal Government Act. The Regulation outlines the authorities and responsibilities of the Board including the preparation and implementation of a Regional Growth Plan, Metropolitan Region Servicing Plan, Public Engagement Policy, and the administration of the Regional Evaluation Framework. The Regulation governs the overall authority and operations of the Board.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Board in accordance with the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board Regulation, Board by-laws, policies, and Board direction;
- Responsible for preparing the Board’s strategic and business plan(s), annual and quarterly reports (as required), budget and financial reports (e.g., audited financial statements), developing and implementing a corporate governance framework (e.g., performance measures);
- Responsible for developing Board Meeting Agendas and meeting schedules and directing Project Managers in preparing Committee/Task Force Agendas in consultation with Committee/Task Force Chairs;
- Apply and implement by-laws, policies and direction to ensure public funds are managed within accepted public sector business and financial practices;
- Advise the Interim Chair/Chair, and Board members to ensure they are meeting their responsibilities and achieving the Board mandate, priorities and implementing the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Growth Plan;
- Responsible for identifying, managing and procuring financial resources required to carry out the Board’s mandate, including delegated signing authority;
- Monitoring Board performance and implementation of the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Growth Plan in accordance with the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board Regulation;
- Liaising and working co-operatively with Board members and administrations for member municipalities to ensure the Interim Chair/Chair, Board and Committee and members are supported in carrying out the roles and responsibilities as provided in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board Regulation and Board bylaws/policies;
- Designing the Board administration’s structure, hiring and managing Board employees as well as future human resource planning;
- Key representative of the Board in developing and maintaining productive relationships with government departments and agencies, senior leaders and influencers in the Region and community organizations and advising the Board Interim Chair/Chair and members on these relationships;
- Key external representative of the Board including media and communications activities;
- Provide leadership, support and advice to the Board Interim Chair/Chair and members on strategic planning, achieving the mandate and vision of the Board, and any other matters related to the future of the Board; and
- Performing duties as requested by the Board Interim Chair/Chair and Board members.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Progressive senior management experience with agencies, boards or government. A sound understanding of principles of natural justice and the operation of municipal/provincial governments or quasi-judicial boards is desirable;
- Understanding of governance and experience working with a Board of Directors;
- Good understanding of the political process and the political environment in Alberta;
- Skills and abilities to respond to contentious, controversial issues within highly political environments;
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, decision-making, and verbal and written communications skills;
- Sound conceptual and strategic thinking skills along with the ability to take complex information and diverse points of view into consideration in making sound decisions;
- Strong leadership and management skills to manage a diverse group of professionals and administrative support staff within a team environment;
- Ability and skills to respond to a heavy workload, shifting priorities and challenges; and
- A graduate university degree in a related discipline.
Competencies and Attributes
- Leadership Skills – demonstrates a visionary leadership style while providing guidance and support to staff. A mentor and positive role model combined with a practical; collaborative and common sense approach and expertise in issues management.
- Strategic and Business Planning – provides executive leadership to all planning initiatives and ensures accountability for achievement of results.
- Politically Astute – knows and understands governance, legislative and regulatory processes and has the ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions. Enjoys working with elected officials. Knows and understands the importance of working closely with municipalities and the provincial government.
- Relationship Building – demonstrates an ability to develop and maintain win/win relationships and partnerships. Understands the importance of identifying potential partners and working with them to further the goals of the organization.
- Interpersonal Skills – works well with people from all disciplines and is sensitive to diverse needs of stakeholders. Will be effective at promoting positive intermunicipal relationships.
- Communication Skills – an open and straightforward style with all audiences and an ability to effectively communicate with municipal and provincial officials; is candid and respectful with everyone.
- Project Management – demonstrates an ability to successfully complete projects, including project scheduling, planning and resourcing; is skilled at leading project teams to ensure on-time and on-budget results.
- Financial Management – a proven ability to work within the constraints of a budget. Timely reporting in all budget, financial and information matters.
- Human Resource Management – requires excellent human resource knowledge and interpersonal skills to work positively with staff and elected officials. Sensitive and caring with the ability to bring diverse individuals and program initiatives together using strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Self Confidence – possesses a positive attitude and confidence in own skills and abilities; is able to make difficult decisions and stand by them; thoroughly researches implications of all recommendations to the Board and is willing to provide the best possible advice even when those recommendations may not always be well received.
- Client Service – client service is paramount to the success of the Board. Confidence in ensuring stakeholder needs are identified and addressed to the highest possible standard is required.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ACGF-034166 Chief Executive Officer – Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.