Chief Executive Officer – Civida
Civida respectfully acknowledges that they are located within Treaty 6 Territory and Métis Nation of Alberta Region 4. They acknowledge the land as the traditional home for many Indigenous Peoples including the Cree, Blackfoot, Métis, Nakota Sioux, Dene, Saulteaux, Anishinaabe, Inuit and many others whose histories, languages, and cultures continue to influence our vibrant community.
Civida has a long history of promoting affordable housing options and solutions. They began as the Edmonton Housing Authority in 1970, and in 1995 became Capital Region Housing. Today, the organization is known as Civida — the largest provider of social and near-market housing in the Edmonton region.
Through affordable housing, Civida provides over 5,000 homes to tenants and their families. They also lead the way in housing research, policy development and advocacy within this region.
A lot has changed over the past three decades, but Civida’s mission remains essentially the same:
Mission: To provide safe and affordable housing.
Vision: Everybody’s home.
Civida’s core business includes:
- Property management – providing professional housing and asset management for over 5,000 homes throughout Edmonton.
- Program administration – providing program administration to applicants, tenants and program funders for social housing and rent subsidies.
- Property development – developing and purchasing housing units to meet the needs for affordable housing in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.
Civida’s Guiding Principles:
- Sustainability – we will build an organization that will value and promote financial, social, and environmental sustainability.
- Excellence – we will embody service and operational excellence, creating an environment where customers can achieve their highest independence.
- Engagement – we will ensure all our partners – tenants, staff, service providers and governments – are fully aware and engaged in our success.
- Innovation – we will develop innovative and creative housing solutions and approaches.
Civida is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access, and recognizes that those ideals support service excellence. As an essential element of their DNA, Civida welcomes the unique contributions that candidates can bring in terms of diverse backgrounds and lived experiences and encourages applications that represent the diversity of their community.
For further information on Civida, please visit their website at https://civida.ca/
|Job Title:||Chief Executive Officer|
|Reports to:||Board of Directors|
|3: Chief Operating Officer; Chief Information Officer; and Chief Financial Officer|
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is the strategic leader who ensures an entrepreneurial approach, operational excellence, and commitment to the mission for Civida.
As the chief resource steward of CIVIDA, the CEO oversees the financial health of the organization, which has an annual operating budget of approximately $45M and over 5000 housing units. In addition, the CEO champions innovation and efficiency towards the sustainability of the housing assets.
Working through a skilled Senior Leadership Team, the CEO champions individual accountability, empowerment, and organizational capacity development. Whenever possible, decisions are made at the lowest level within the organization, which promotes leadership development at the level at which those decisions are made. The CEO has a talent for drawing out the potential of others, recognizing that the most important resource of any organization is its people.
Passionate, strategic, and results-driven, the CEO possesses an affinity for engaging multiple stakeholder groups. The CEO demonstrates the appropriate fiduciary duty and diligence required in running an organization funded by public dollars. Additionally, the CEO is comfortable as the face of the organization and takes on the role of Chief Communicator whenever required.
The position includes the following responsibilities:
Strategic Leadership & Financial Management
- Engage with the Board in annual and long-term strategic planning with responsibility for the implementation of projects aligned to long-range objectives;
- Execute the vision of the Board in a way that demonstrates an excellent understanding of governance and agency;
- Ensure strategic priorities (including current and future funding needs) are met;
- Ensure financial accountability and effective stewardship of Civida with a particular focus on meeting or exceeding the expectations set out in the legislative framework; and
- Clearly demonstrate value and return on investment in the use of public funds.
- Inspire a team of leaders who are committed to the vision of Civida, who feel empowered to think with an entrepreneurial mindset, and work collaboratively in support of the mission;
- Establish succession planning and the continuous growth of internal capacity and leadership development as a strategic priority;
- Continue the emphasis on alignment of long-term thinking and planning in order to achieve organizational success;
- Champion a culture of internal excellence that emphasizes not only the “what” but the “how” of achieving results; and
- Enhance the client-focused approach that centers on tenants and their outcomes.
Advocacy and Stakeholder Relations
- Understand social, economic, and environmental factors that influence the housing sector;
- Work collaboratively, and where appropriate in conjunction, with the Board to actively engage and build strong relationships with stakeholders including all levels of government, housing sector partners, community groups, clients, etc.
- Promote and support partnerships with different orders of government, the business community, the housing community, unions, and other organizations which may impact Civida and the communities they serve;
- Maintain current and in-depth knowledge of funding and operational challenges impacting the sector, as well as the legislative framework within which Civida works; and
- Ensure that the formal partnerships established align with the Mission, Vision and Values of Civida.
- Participate with and support the Board in design and the development of the next five-year vision;
- Maintain open, transparent communication with the Board;
- Support and enable the effectiveness of the Board by actioning directives/decisions made at the Board level;
- Report regularly to the Board on strategic plan execution, financial performance, and risk management;
- Work together with the Board to promote and deliver good governance practices; and
- Act as an informed, transparent, and trusted advisor to the Board on all aspects of the organization’s activities.
The CEO should have the following:
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in a related discipline; and
- A Masters’ degree in Business Administration, Public Policy, Law, or another relevant field is welcomed.
- A minimum of 10 years proven executive leadership experience in a complex multi-stakeholder environment;
- Experience developing strong teams and creating a positive internal culture;
- Practiced in developing profitable strategies and managing resources efficiently and effectively;
- Extensive advocacy, diplomacy and/or government relations experience;
- Prior success in managing a multi-million-dollar budget with constant focus on business operations to maximize performance;
- Demonstrated awareness of and focus on the fiduciary duty required when utilizing public funds;
- Knowledge of the issues and challenges in the housing sector, coupled with a well-developed understanding of the broader stakeholders/communities within which the CEO will be required to interact and build relationships;
- Track record of working in partnership with a Board of Directors in an environment grounded in keen listening, communication, transparency, and cooperation.
- Successful track record or navigating a complex stakeholder environment with the potential for significant public scrutiny; and
- Proven ability to effect change to support the mission of an organization.
Competencies and Attributes
- Emotionally intelligent leader who exemplifies the Mission, Vision and Values of Civida, and who has a passion for the work of the organization;
- A visionary leader who motivates and allows people the space to explore as they meet their mandate, but who still holds them accountable to the strategy and the agreed upon key performance indicators;
- A collaborative leader who ensures a strong team is in place, who delegates work to the person with the right expertise, and who trusts in the skills of those around them to get the job done;
- An exceptional communicator who engages at all levels, who is authentic, fair, and who possesses unimpeachable integrity;
- An individual who balances confidence (when conveying a vision or call to action) with humility (when ensuring that the needs and brand of the organization take precedence over those of the individual);
- Courageous leader who meets uncomfortable situations head-on and moves to constructively resolve the situation with thoughtful and appropriate communication;
- A strategist who can implement the vision and agenda of the board while demonstrating a clear understanding of governance and agency;
- A creative thinker who will demonstrate agility in a changing landscape and who is inclined to see solutions when faced with roadblocks; and
- A strong relationship builder with a focus on trust and transparency.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AOPO-504631 Chief Executive Officer – Civida - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.