Chief Executive Officer – Aquatera Utilities Inc.
Aquatera is a unique provider of high-quality regional utility services including water, waste water treatment, solid waste and recycling within Grande Prairie, County of Grande Prairie, Towns of Sexsmith, and Wembley and related utility services to Alberta industry and other municipalities.Aquatera was established in 2003 through a consolidation of assets and creation of a Unanimous Share Agreement by the City of Grande Prairie, The County of Grande Prairie and the Town of Sexsmith.
Aquatera has grown through increasing its reach to connected and non-connected municipalities, industry and businesses. The acquisition of Advanced Trenchless and Sustainable Water Solutions was a strategic way to bring complimentary services to the core business within Aquatera to increase shareholder return.
Safety is a core value whereby they value each other’s safety and the safety of the communities and customers on a daily basis. Teamwork, quality and respect are all core values to bring about the vision.
The company has grown a culture of innovation upon which to continue to improve core business results. It seeks increase shareholder value and pursue growth opportunities to move beyond municipal services.
For further information on Aquatera Utilities Inc, please visit their website at www.aquatera.ca.
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: 5
Indirect Reports: 136
Location: Grande Prairie, Alberta
The Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) will report directly to the Board of Directors (“Board”). The CEO will oversee the development and implementation of the Aquatera’s strategic plan and key performance outcomes of the annual business plan. In addition, the CEO is responsible for ensuring superior performance of its subsidiary companies. This role is responsible for future growth and development of the organization and effective operations to ensure optimum profit and return on investment consistent with the Board and Company’s mission, vision, values, interests of shareholders, customers, employees and the general public. The CEO is responsible for the development and execution of the decisions, policies and direction of the Board.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Develops the strategic direction, policies and risk assessment (for approval by the Board), to ensure Aquatera’s profitable growth and success and develops sound business plans, budgets to meet or exceed goals and objectives.
- Ultimately accountable for the direction and control of Aquatera’s business including the development and execution of strategies, business plans, resources, assets and clear communication to Aquatera’s key internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds an accountable culture at all levels of the organization within Aquatera and the subsidiaries.
- Responsible for the fiscal management and health of Aquatera including, but not limited to, overseeing rate calculations and methodology and setting competitive rates for municipalities, dividend calculations, retained earnings options and operating budgets.
- Responsible for Aquatera’s health and safety and environmental programs, polices and performance.
- Responsible for ensuring an appropriate Unanimous Shareholder Agreement, bylaws, articles of association and franchise agreements are in place and endorsed by the Board and the shareholders that will support the direction and growth of Aquatera.
- Develops and maintains a sound and effective organization structure for the company by assigning major functions, staffing key positions, providing effective succession management, team development and engagement.
- Ensures assets are adequately safeguarded and maintained and that new major investments or divestitures are presented to the Board for consideration and approval prior to execution.
- Recommends financial objectives and policies including retained earnings, dividends and dividend policy to the Board for approval.
- Seeks opportunity for investment using sound risk/return analysis.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in full compliance with all applicable laws in each jurisdiction, regulations and Aquatera’s standards of business conduct, environmental policy statements and other policies set by the Board.
- Drive a culture of accountability, customer focus, innovation and problem solving which enables the company to respond to rapidly changing environment, develops the capacity and competence to capitalize on opportunities and increases employee and shareholder engagement.
- Oversees all functions within Aquatera including; Human Resources, Business Development, Operations, Finance, Safety, Environment, Regulatory, Communications and Sales and Marketing. Fosters ethical and responsible decision making throughout the company.
- Maintains a high level of understanding of governance responsibilities for the board, CEO and senior management.
- Ensures the board has sufficient up-to date information, keeps Board informed of business operations and major issues, makes recommendations, formulates plans for approval by the Board.
- Supports new Board members through developing and executing Board orientation. Collaborates with the Board Chair in preparing agendas for Board meetings.
- Advocates and promotes the organization and stakeholder relations to support growth and continued shareholder engagement.
- Provides avenues and promotes effective communication and engagement at all levels and all stakeholders including, employees, union, shareholders, Board, general public.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop and execute a Shareholder Engagement Strategy.
- Determine and guide Aquatera’s lean journey roadmap into the future.
- Deliver financial results that are in alignment with the pre-established budget.
- Ensure safety results are maintained and make improvements where it is feasible.
- Identify top talent and develop a succession plan at the managerial levels throughout the Aquatera Group of Companies.
- Develop and implement a robust long-term growth strategy for Aquatera.
- Implement strategies to re-define the Aquatera consumer experience, one that will further differentiate and build upon the organization’s competitive advantages.
- Build out a stronger M&A competency within the organization.
- Implement a better-defined tested rate model.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of Aquatera and in supporting the success of the organization, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
Candidate Core Competencies:
- Strategic Visionary: Develops and presents a compelling picture for the shared vision and strategy of the organization. Enlists others in the vision by appealing to the collective aspirations of Aquatera stakeholders (internal and external) which then motivates others into action.
- Business and Financial Acumen: Applies knowledge of the business, the marketplace and business principles to advance the goals of Aquatera.
- Innovation: Creates new and improved way for Aquatera to be successful. Actively pursues new opportunities by using their own initiative. Constantly looking outward for breakthrough ways to improve. Takes calculated risks by consistently generating small wins for Aquatera and learning from experience.
- Drives Accountability & Delivery: The CEO will strengthen those around them by increasing their self-determination and developing a competency with a bias towards action. Even under demanding circumstances, the CEO will consistently achieve results. The CEO will hold themselves and everyone else accountable to their commitments. Leads by example and helps align actions to shared values.
- Customer Focus: Builds and maintains strong, trusting customer relationships and constantly delivers attentive solutions to customer difficulties.
- Builds and Empowers High Performing Teams: Grows strong teams that apply their varied skills and perspective to achieve shared targets. Produces a climate where the team are inspired to achieve the best results for Aquatera. Actively shows appreciation and acknowledges excellence. Celebrates the values and team victories by creating a spirit of community.
- Stakeholder Management & Communication: Fosters an environment of collaboration. Builds strong relationships and facilitates trust among stakeholders, through honesty, integrity and authenticity. Successfully anticipates and manages the needs of several stakeholders. Develops and delivers communications that provide clear understanding of the unique requirements of varying audiences.
- Post-secondary education ideally in Business is required. Master’s degree such as an MBA or other advanced and related business education and training would be optimal.
- 15 plus years of experience in an executive level position.
- Experience reporting and business management with a Board of Directors.
- Experience successfully navigating the nuances of political and public stakeholders.
- Strong leadership skills with the proven ability to mentor and develop an executive team.
- Proven track record in developing strategies, executing plans, and creating significant returns on investment and capital.
- Experience with mergers and acquisitions creating partnerships
- Ability to build business cases, write white papers and deliver presentations to Board and shareholders.
- A transparent and open, authentic leadership style that holds self and others accountable to delivering results through collaboration, innovation and fosters environments of trust and engagement.
- Experience in a regulated to deregulated business is an asset, but not required.
Ideal Personal Profile
- Superior leadership skills and ability to develop, engage and motivate teams to produce quality results, solutions and outstanding service.
- Excellent communication skills in order to communicate at all levels, presenting to the Board of Directors, engaging with Shareholders, and communicating with employees at all levels.
- Demonstrate flexibility, innovation, critical thinking, sound decision making and professionalism.
- Is by nature strategic and results driven, and able to drive results through others by instilling the vision, providing direction, and empowering others.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Under Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation, Optimum Talent requires your consent to provide you with information via email that is relevant to you. This may include electronic communications regarding job opportunities that you are pursuing. Please click the following link in order to access and complete our online subscription form on the homepage of our website: http://www.optimumtalent.com/
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AWJQ-730175 Chief Executive Officer – Aquatera Utilities Inc. - AB - Grande Prairie (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.