Chief Development Officer – The Alex
Since 1973, The Alex has provided thoughtful, comprehensive care to vulnerable Calgarians. With clinical and social components integrated into their programs, The Alex tackles tough health and social issues head-on, and through their preventative, cost-effective approach – saves taxpayer dollars by moving people from poverty to stability and from crisis to wellness.
The Alex serves a community with complex health needs, often the result of issues such as poverty, trauma, homelessness, or addiction. At The Alex, whole health is the goal – and you cannot be healthy if you are hungry, isolated, or experiencing mental health struggles.
Navigating a complex system of service-providers can be challenging for those who need help the most. For this reason, The Alex agency offers an extensive scope of services all under one roof reducing the need for community members to look for resources and support elsewhere.
Effective care means being in the right place at the right time, so programs such as the Community Food Centre and Seniors Health Centre are nestled in the heart of their communities, and their mobile units travel across the city to identified areas of need.
At the heart of every Alex program is a rigorous evaluation process, ensuring that services provided are meeting the needs of the community, and moving the needle on health and wellness. The agency’s approach works, as they have seen the transformation of thousands of lives.
The Alex has an annual operating budget of approximately $28 million.
The Alex envisions a healthy and caring community where every person is valued and can thrive
To positively impact our community through accessible and integrated health, housing, and social services
The fundamental values of the Alex are, building community, treating people with dignity, and supporting their paths to wellness
For further information about The Alex, please visit their website at https://www.thealex.ca/
Job Title: Chief Development Officer
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: 6 – (2) Senior Engagement Manager(s), Communications Manager, Communications Specialist, Communications Coordinator, Stewardship & Annual Giving Officer
Location: Calgary, AB
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Development Officer (‘CDO’) will work in partnership with the CEO and the Board Fund Development Committee in determining both the short and longer-term strategy for the fund development department, conduct an audit/assessment of what is currently in place and develop the business plan to address the identified gaps and secure the necessary resources to meet the strategic initiatives.
The Chief Development Officer will build capacity in fund development department, establish reasonable metrices and outcomes and ensure the required infrastructure is in place for long-term sustainable growth and giving.
The Chief Development Officer, will tell the story, elevate the brand and be responsible for all of the organizations’ fundraising initiatives in major giving, annual giving, grant applications, and donor recognition and stewardship. This individual will be a self-starter who can balance their time between contributing to fundraising strategy, identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio of prospects and donors and coaching a high performing team.
- Lead the successful development and implementation of a fund development program
- Provide advice and counsel on the organizations’ methods for fundraising through utilizing data and innovative thinking while building a balanced portfolio of prospects, donors, programs etc.
- Identify and address fund development challenges and areas for improvement
- Tell The Alex story and how philanthropy supports the organization’s mission and vision, and supports new initiatives
- Curate and implement innovative strategic funding opportunities for short and long-term fund development plans and programs
- Develop strategies to solicit and secure major gifts
- Communicate the organizations’ objectives in a persuasive and inspiring manner with all stakeholders
- Build and increase support for the organization through active participation in identifying, cultivating and stewarding relationships and connections focusing on creating long-term relationships which lead to recurring giving from donors
- Identify areas for social enterprise and opportunity for collaboration with other agencies in the space
- Establish performance metrics, drive the team to results and regularly report progress to the leadership team and fund development committee
- Build out team capacity through investing time into coaching and mentorship
- Successfully manage the fundraising budget, allocating resources appropriately and identifying opportunities for diversification of revenue streams
- Join an organization committed to changing the lives of thousands of individuals through a truly integrated and holistic community health approach
- The opportunity to build a fund development department that will play an influential role in the Alex’s ability to continue serving our most vulnerable population
- Be seen as a key fund development leader within the Calgary community, building visible, strong relationships with staff, Board, donors, key funders and stakeholders
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES/ MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Thoughtfully integrate into the agency by understanding the Alex’s history, culture and members with the ability to share the organizations compelling story with stakeholders
- Recognize and understand the changing donor landscape, identifying alternative methods to reach and engage with various donor demographics
- Work with the CEO and the Board Fund Development Committee to determine the short- and long-term strategy for the fund development department, conduct an audit/assessment of what is currently in place and develop the business plan to address the identified gaps and secure the required resources to meet the strategic initiatives.
- Maintain the existing levels of charitable giving
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Seasoned fund development professional with a proven track record of success in building a fund development department
- Proven people and organizational leadership skills and abilities
- CFRE certification is considered an asset
- Solid knowledge of ethical principles and best practices related to fundraising, prospect research, donor relations and communications
- Previous experience and familiarity with Donor Perfect is considered an asset
- Strong understanding of budgeting processes and data management
Competencies and Attributes
- A demonstrated personal and professional connection and commitment to the vision, mission, and values of The Alex Community Health Centre
- Empowering leadership skills, able to build and manage teams, inspire others, as well as interact effectively with peers and senior leaders
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner both internally and externally
- Hold oneself and others ethically accountable as to behave and act in the best interest of clients, colleagues, and the organization
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to realize the mission, vision, and strategic priorities of the organization
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness – the ability to recognize, value and effectively respond to cultural differences and needs in individuals and communities
- Effectively plan and organize one’s work and activities to meet program and agency demands
- Use a systematic approach to effectively solve problems and make sound decisions
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Strong problem solving, organizing, planning, and analytical skills
- Strong team player and team builder
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ATCY-683858 Chief Development Officer – The Alex - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.