Chief Aviation Officer- STARS Air Ambulance
Every Life is Worth Fighting For
Every day, STARS takes care of some of the most critical patients in Western Canada. They are able to do it because they have built a strong foundation through their Vision and Mission.
Motivated to change emergency care across rural Alberta, Dr. Powell and his colleagues created a helicopter air ambulance service, which was built and supported by the community. While the faces have changed, STARS team members continue to be motivated by their passion for saving more lives and their desire to be the disruptive innovator who contributes to transformation in the health-care system. As they have grown and evolved, STARS has never wavered from their mission. Fundamentally the belief is that where you live – or work, play and travel – shouldn’t impact your chance of survival.
The organization’s strategy focuses on three core groups that are integral to their fight to save lives:
Patients – VIPs (Very Important Patients) are at the centre of our universe and at the forefront of everything we do.
Crew – Our missions would not be possible without everyone who works here and makes it a reality.
Allies – We have a community of supporters who play a vital role in our efforts to save lives.
Today, STARS provides world-class services across Western Canada and continues to be fueled by grassroots community support. For many, STARS is their lifeline.
For further information about STARS, please visit their website at www.stars.ca
Job Title: Chief Aviation Officer
Reports to: President and Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Senior Director, Aviation Services; Vice President, Fleet Implementation; Director of Maintenance; Senior Administrative Assistant
Indirect Reports: <100
Location: Calgary, Alberta
As a member of the Executive Leadership Team, the Chief Aviation Officer (CAO) is responsible for providing leadership, direction and oversight for the Aviation function.
This role will provide strong leadership and clear direction to the Aviation leadership team, ensuring leaders and team members effectively operationalize, implement, and execute organizational strategies. The CAO will work with the Executive Team to ensure the overall success of Aviation, partnering substantially with the Chief Operating Officer who is responsible for the provision of services as per our provincial contracts.
- Develops a strong leadership team that will be collaborative and effective in meeting the objectives of operational excellence within Aviation
- Acts as an innovative leader in the research and development of high standards related to Aviation Safety
- Act as a key liaison and build relationships with: key stakeholders, Board of Director, AB Health, Share Health MB and Transport Canada
- Oversees new $138million H145 fleet conversion project
- Oversees and directs all Aviation operations working in collaboration with other senior operational leaders, including maintenance and pilots
- Provides general oversight and direction for the implementation of our new aircraft in a safe and efficient manner
- Responsible for developing short and long term strategic business plans
- Oversees the development and monitoring of STARS Aviation standards, practice guidelines, standard operating procedures, and adherence to compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Plans, develops, implements and has general oversight to budgets
- Participates in regularly scheduled Executive meetings, professional organizational meetings and external stakeholder meetings relevant to Aviation
- Other duties as assigned
- Join an organization with a deep-rooted commitment to providing lifesaving care the moment it’s needed
- Participate as senior executive leader in an organization which utilizes continuous innovation to succeed while maintaining a strong track record and reputation
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Effectively build trust and credibility with the aviation team through fostering an environment that supports open communication and collaboration
- Successfully execute a seamless fleet conversion to H145 airbus helicopters
- Ensure the progress in implementation of the Safety Management System (SMS) and Fatigue Risk Management Systems (FRMS)
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Current Commercial or Airline Transport License either fixed or rotary wing (rotary wing would be preferred) OR current Transport Canada M1 or M2 AME License
- Minimum of fifteen years of relevant Aviation experience including a senior management position with a strong operational focus and a sound understanding of Aviation practices, principles and regulations
- Extensive experience in HEMS operations preferred
- Strong Aviation safety program experience required
- Experience in planning, developing, executing and monitoring a large and diverse operational budget
- Role will require occasional travel between STARS’ bases
Competencies and Attributes
- Highly developed understanding of strategic planning, organization design, leadership development, change management, performance management, risk management, and resource management
- Leadership style that is results focused, collaborative and respectful
- Excellent interpersonal skills for negotiating scenarios, coaching, facilitating, conflict resolution and consensus building
- Excellent communication skills for dealing with critical stakeholders including but not limited to STARS Board, Transport Canada, donors and health authorities. May from time to time be required to conduct media interviews
- Ability to analyze processes, enact change and think operationally and strategically to achieve goals
- Able to react to change productively
- Budget setting and forecasting
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A016224 Chief Aviation Officer- STARS Air Ambulance - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.