Chief Administrative Officer – Village of Ryley
Located 50 minutes east of Edmonton on Highway 14 in the center of Beaver County, and home to almost 500 residents, Ryley, Alberta is a vibrant, family-oriented community that celebrates its cultural diversity. Primarily serving as an agricultural center, Ryley has a variety of successful local businesses, as well as being the home to the Beaver County administration offices. With close proximity to large urban conveniences, there are also plenty of local recreational and cultural amenities just out the front door. Village residents are proud to be “living the life of Ryley”.
For further information please visit: http://www.ryley.ca/
Job Title: Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
Reports to: Mayor and Council
Direct Reports: 4: Officer Manager; Financial Officer; Director of Public Works; Assistant Director of Public Works
Location: Ryley, AB
Work Schedule: Tuesday to Friday (closed Mondays)
Reporting to the Mayor and Council, the CAO is responsible for the overall administration of municipal operations and the day-to-day tasks of the Village. The CAO directs, controls and coordinates the activities of the Village departments which includes four (4) staff and several seasonal employees. The CAO will also be responsible for managing a combined budget of approximately $1.3M. The CAO leads and manages the overall business to ensure strategic and business plans are effectively implemented, the results monitored and reported to Mayor and Council, and the financial and operational objectives are attained. The CAO performs these duties in accordance with all applicable bylaws of the Municipality.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Accountable to the Village of Ryley Council for the overall management of Village operations
- Effectively communicates with the Mayor and Council to ensure information and updates on key initiatives are provided such that the Council is up-to-date and supported to make good decisions
- Actively engages Council in business and budget planning
- Keeps Council fully informed of all significant Council and management operational, financial and advocacy matters and risks relevant to the Village
- Accountable to ensure the Village records, notes, and minutes are recorded, maintained and distributed as necessary
Performance and Risk
- Accountable to ensure ongoing day-to-day business operations are resourced appropriately, are executed to plan, and are completed within time constraints
- Ensures that resolutions, policies and programs adopted by Council are implemented and managed
- Undertakes research and development activities to explore innovative improvements and new services to meet Village challenges
- Enables, empowers, and holds direct reports accountable to effectively perform their jobs
- Supports internal staff development and ensures professional development practices and plans are in place and executed
- Ensures staff maintain a positive, solution-based customer service focus in dealing with the community
- Approves the establishment of compensation levels for all staff within budgets and within the salary scales approved by Council
- Hires and terminates all staff within the policies and procedures of the Village
External Stakeholder Relations
- Develops and maintains credible and authentic relationships with various stakeholder groups including county partners, citizens and businesses
- Maintains awareness of provincial political environment and incorporates knowledge into budget and ongoing operations as appropriate
- Represents the Village of Ryley positively as an ambassador at meetings with the County, other municipalities, business partners, and community stakeholders in the area
- Ensures that the Village communicates and promotes service offerings and business development opportunities to existing and potential clients within its target market
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Engage and build an atmosphere of trust and communication with Mayor, Council and the Administration team.
- Identify and access appropriate government resources/grants to strengthen municipal infrastructure and capital projects.
- Develop and strengthen the working relationship with key neighboring municipalities and other levels of government with respect to moving initiatives/projects forward.
- Advance current economic development and other Village initiatives.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education or a combination of relevant training and senior leadership experience will be considered;
- Preference will be provided to applicants with business, finance or accounting designations.
- Experience working within a municipal government environment;
- A thorough understanding of the legislative process and knowledge of (or a willingness to learn) the Alberta Municipal Government Act;
- Proven experience in strategic planning, organizational development and achieving results;
- Demonstrated strength as an inspiring leader of people;
- Proven expertise in building and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders;
- Experience in implementing development plans, capital works and infrastructure improvement programs; and
- A thorough understanding of the financial and budgeting process.
Competencies and Attributes
- An ability to work effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards and committees and the public participation processes;
- Superior organization and time management skills, with evidenced ability to meet deadlines;
- Possesses initiative, flexibility and critical thinking skills;
- Demonstrates a high degree of intuition and emotional intelligence, especially with respect to leading the team;
- Superior communication style that balances succinctness, clarity and finesse;
- Hands-on working leader with detail orientation; and
- Possesses a sense of urgency with a proven track record of results.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A002910 (AVLD-618638) Chief Administrative Officer – Village of Ryley - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.