Chief Administrative Officer – Town of Hinton
As the Gateway to the Rockies, the Town of Hinton is an ideal mecca for all outdoor enthusiasts. The Town offers a championship cross country ski trail and a Boardwalk featuring Hinton’s wetlands and wildlife. Hinton has a wealth of parks linked together by urban forest corridors and multipurpose trails for public enjoyment. Hinton’s local parks are also environmental havens, allowing the community to coexist with the natural world of the beautiful Rocky Mountain foothills.
Serving a population of approximately 10,000 residents, the Town of Hinton takes pride in its strong sense of multiculturism. Having lower tax rates than its neighboring communities, Hinton has a strong multi-industry economic base and this stability means the ability to offer unparalleled opportunities for growth and supports to its diverse businesses and residents. Providing a variety of education, healthcare, and retail offerings, Hinton also supports its industry partners in coal mining, oil & gas, tourism, a pulp mill, a sawmill, and forestry research and training.
For further information please visit: www.hinton.ca
|Job Title:||Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)|
|Reports to:||Mayor and Council|
|7: Director of Development Services | Director of Corporate Services | Director of Infrastructure Services | Director of Community Services | Manager of Human Resources | Manager of Strategic Services | Manager of Protective Services | Executive Assistant|
Reporting to Mayor and Council, the CAO is responsible for the overall administration of municipal operations and the day-to-day tasks of the Town. The CAO directs, controls and coordinates the activities of the Town departments and the employees within. The CAO is also responsible for managing a budget of approximately $30M. The CAO leads and manages overall Town operations to ensure strategic and business plans are effectively implemented, the results monitored and reported to Mayor and Council, and the financial and operational objectives are attained. The CAO performs these duties in accordance with the Municipal Government Act and all applicable bylaws of the Municipality.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Accountable to the Town of Hinton’s Mayor and Council for the overall management of Town operations;
- Effectively communicates with the Mayor and Council to ensure information and updates on key initiatives are provided such that Council is well informed and supported to make the best decisions on behalf of the Town;
- Actively engages Council in business and budget planning;
- Utilizes a metrics and facts-based approach to keep Council fully informed of all significant operational, financial, advocacy and risk matters relevant to Hinton;
- Adeptly advises Council on legal and financial impacts of policy decisions, and the potential benefits and impacts on the community; and
- Proactively ensures Town records, notes, and minutes are recorded, maintained and distributed, as necessary.
- Minimizes service delivery risk by ensuring ongoing day-to-day business operations are resourced appropriately, are executed to plan, and are completed within time and budget constraints;
- Champions resolutions, policies and programs adopted by Council and ensures they are implemented and managed;
- Undertakes research and development activities to explore innovative improvements and new services to meet the changing needs and challenges of the Town; and
- Communicates expertise and a strong knowledge of the roles, responsibilities and interplay between governance and operational decisions.
- Enables, empowers, and holds direct reports accountable to effectively perform their duties;
- Supports internal staff development and ensures professional development practices and plans are in place and executed;
- Fosters a high-performance culture that results in a positive, solution-based customer service focus in dealing with the community;
- Cultivates a cultural appreciation of the role that Council has in representing citizens, and the role that Administration has in serving citizens, resulting in an environment where constructive feedback is embraced;
- Approves the establishment of compensation levels for all staff within; and
- Ensures that strategic staffing decisions are made within the policies and procedures of the Town.
External Stakeholder Relations
- Develops and maintains credible and authentic relationships with various stakeholder groups including regional partners, citizens, businesses, and the community as a whole;
- Maintains awareness of the provincial political environment and incorporates that knowledge into budget and ongoing operations as appropriate;
- Positively represents the Town of Hinton as a community ambassador at meetings with other municipalities, business partners, and stakeholders; and
- Ensures that the Town communicates and promotes service offerings and business development opportunities to existing and potential clients within its target market.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Provide committed, consistent and trusted advice to Council;
- Provide committed, consistent and trusted leadership to the Administration team;
- Act as an effective liaison by defining Administration’s and Council’s roles and engaging and building an atmosphere of trust and transparent communication between Council and Administration;
- Gain an understanding of Hinton’s current economic development landscape in order to advance and grow potential opportunities in the community;
- Prioritize and move forward on the Town of Hinton’s strategic plan with particular focus on critical infrastructure projects; and
- Develop and implement a plan to successfully manage any required cultural and operational changes.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education or a combination of relevant training and senior leadership experience will be considered.
- A thorough understanding of the legislative process and knowledge of (or a willingness to learn) the Alberta Municipal Government Act;
- Proven experience in strategic planning, organizational development and achieving results;
- Demonstrated strength as an inspiring leader of people;
- Proven expertise in building and maintaining relationships within a multi-stakeholder environment;
- Experience in implementing development plans, capital works and infrastructure improvement programs;
- A thorough understanding of the financial and budgeting process; and
- Experience working within a municipal government environment would be of benefit.
Competencies and Attributes
- An ability to work effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards and committees and public participation processes;
- Positive and innovative approach to problem-solving with an orientation geared towards overcoming obstacles;
- Superior organization and time management skills, with evidenced ability to meet deadlines;
- Possesses initiative, flexibility and critical thinking skills;
- Demonstrates a high degree of intuition and emotional intelligence, especially with respect to leading the team;
- Superior communication style that balances succinctness, clarity, and finesse;
- Hands-on working leader with detail orientation; and
- Possesses a sense of urgency with a proven track record of results.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AIPF-403203 Chief Administrative Officer – Town of Hinton - AB-Hinton (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.