Calgary Board of Education – Director, Planning
The Calgary Board of Education (“CBE”) is one of Canada’s largest school systems educating more than 125,000 students in over 240 schools and has responsibility for an annual budget of approximately $1.4B. More than 14,000 employees work together to provide learning as unique as every student.
The work is guided by an Education Plan, which connects each CBE employee to student success. This creates an environment where each student can become an engaged learner, prepared for success in life, work and future learning.
The CBE is governed by an elected Board of seven trustees. Trustees are elected every four years during the municipal election along with Calgary’s mayor and councilors. Day-to-day operations are led by a team of superintendents who are responsible for meeting the expectations of the Board of Trustees as set out in their Results policies, Operational Expectations and the Chief Superintendent’s annual summative evaluation.
Each student, in keeping with their individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
|Reports to:||Superintendent, Facilities & Environmental Services|
Reporting to the Superintendent, Facilities and Environmental Services (FES), this position is responsible for working with Superintendents, Directors, School Principals, Consultants, and various levels of government to develop long-term system student accommodation plans for the Calgary Board of Education (CBE). The position provides vision, leadership and expertise in the planning of school facilities that meet the present and anticipated future learning needs of students.
- Providing leadership to the department to ensure positive and effective staff productivity and outcomes
- Providing leadership to the CBE on matters relating to student accommodation planning
- Implementing appropriate, sustainable and proactive change in conjunction with fellow Directors, Superintendents, and the CBE statements of purpose, mission, values and strategic directions
- Collaboration with Superintendents, Directors, and department leaders to develop long-term system plans and address system-level issues. This includes:
- Recommendations regarding the requirement for new schools and their placement
- Closure of schools
- Requirement for modular classrooms
- Changes to school attendance areas
- Grade configurations or the use of a school lottery
Operational & Departmental
- Contributing to the accomplishment of the Board’s results and operational expectation goals
- Serve on or provide coordination assistance to major system committees impacting educational services
- Create integrated system processes to assist in the resolution of critical CBE issues
- Produce and present reports to Superintendents and the Board of Trustees including but not limited to:
- The September 30 Student Enrolment Summary
- Three Year School Capital Plan
- Ten Year Student Accommodation and Facilities Strategy
- Three Year System Student Accommodation Plan
- Modular Classroom Plan
- CBE Boundary Adjustment reports
- Student Enrolment Projection Report
- Mid-Year Enrolment Summary
- Consideration for Closure reports
- Develop processes and practices to identify and plan for student enrolment projections and their implications for system, area, and school operations
- Conducting related reviews and developing recommendations concerning enrolment profiles, space utilization and modular requirements
- Program community planning processes through effective analysis of trends, developmental pressures, and related internal/external data
- Identify facility space for internal administrative uses of schools
- Establish priorities for the department
- Prepare and manage the department budget and the Program Moves and Expansions (PMEX) budget in accordance with legislated and internal requirements
- Develop plans and make recommendations for CBE schools that strives to ensure facilities are well situated for those they serve, suited to their use and financially sustainable
- Participate on the Facilities and Environmental Services Leadership Team. In a collaborative and results oriented effort, develop, establish, and implement strategic directions, goals and objectives consistent with those of the service unit
- Develop Facilities and Environmental Services work plans to support the CBE Education Plan
- Review facility enhancement projects related to access to programming including barrier free or due to student enrolment pressures
Collaboration and Stakeholder Engagement
- Develop strong relationships with CBE stakeholders and bring appropriate groups of stakeholders together to review plans and issues
- Respond to parent, public and Trustee inquiries regarding student accommodation issues
- Lead public engagement and participate as a decision maker in public engagement on matters relating to student accommodation planning
- Liaise with and ensure participation in the Joint Use Coordinating Committee (JUCC) to provide school jurisdiction input into City of Calgary long-term community development planning
- Supply appropriate support for the required governance processes in the event that the Board of Trustees initiates a consideration of closure process
- To be a leader in one of Canada’s largest school boards, one of the largest employers in Calgary and to be part of an organization recognized for its leadership in public education
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop and implement a student accommodation review process while working collaboratively with the Education Directors to execute this process on the following key areas:
- Lottery System
- School and Program Closures
- Work strategically with Education Directors in developing long-term student accommodation plans
- Build a high-performing team, supporting internal succession planning through mentorship and career development
- Be seen as a trusted advisor and influential leader throughout the CBE system
- Build strong working relationships with the city planning departments and other key external stakeholders
- Demonstrate the ability to uphold the organizations culture by understanding the needs and inquiries of CBE clients and stakeholders
- Contribute to the cultural growth of the team by embracing feedback and seeking the views and perspectives from a diverse group of individuals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor of Planning/Urban Studies/Project Management or an equivalent four-year baccalaureate degree
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning preferred
- Project Management Professional certification is considered an asset
- Certificate in public participation or related community engagement experience
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered
- Minimum 10 years of leadership-level experience, preferably in an educational setting
- Formal or on the job experience with group facilitation
- Experience with IAP2 is considered an asset
Competencies and Attributes:
- Strong communication profile with a reputation built on excellent listening, writing and public speaking skills
- Expertise in developing and leading teams
- Ability to achieve results by working with groups from diverse environments, with varied perspectives regarding education program needs and interests
- Proven record as an agent of change in achieving results using collaboration and interest-based approaches to problem-solving and conflict resolution
- Ability to frame problems and issues articulately and obtain results in ambiguous situations
- Exemplary management practices in stewardship of resources
- Political savvy, tact, and diplomacy skills
- Sensitivity to the reality of political forces in public education
- Understanding of the aims of public education
- Commitment to a strong work ethic and model servant leadership
- Sound understanding of the operational challenges facing the CBE in working with multiple stakeholders to place students, schools and programs in the right places
- Comfort with ambiguity and openness to change
- Personal suitability
CBE is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and enriches our work and is essential to operational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities to confidentially self-identify at the time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and CBE throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
CBE CARES: Collaboration for Anti-Racism & Equity Support (CARES)
CBE CARES serves to advance equity, anti-racism and inclusion within the CBE. Every student should have the opportunity to succeed personally and academically regardless of background, identity or personal circumstances.
The CBE is developing actionable strategies to advance this work. The CBE is accounting for the input gathered from the CBE CARES Advisory Council and listening sessions held in the 2020-21 school year and reflecting best practices to address racism and discrimination in the school Board context.
For more information, visit: https://cbe.ab.ca/about-us/school-culture-and-environment/Pages/anti-racism-and-equity.aspx
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A025316 (AVJU-741517) Calgary Board of Education – Director, Planning - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.