Assistant Controller | Volker Stevin Canada
Volker Stevin Canada is a group of companies providing years of experience and service in the areas of construction, highway maintenance, civil works and bridge construction, maintenance and rehabilitation expertise and project management. By maintaining our high standards, we ensure the longevity, sustainability and profitability of the company.
From the hiring process to project completion, every detail matters. Our above-standard safety protocols, long-term employee histories, and our commitment to the communities we work in, all play a role in what we do.
Our dynamic and diverse culture welcomes people that are dedicated and highly skilled with a proven foundation built on mutual respect. Bringing individual and unique skills, each person at Volker Stevin Canada is an essential contributor in achieving our common goals both locally, nationally and at the international level. Above all, we focus on continuously achieving superior standards in order to meet, and exceed, both employee and client objectives while engaging in a culture of safety excellence, environmental responsibility, and a great work environment.
Anyone can say that their people matter, but at Volker Stevin Canada, we have a proven track record that makes this statement genuinely true. In an industry with generally high turnover rates, Volker Stevin and its subsidiaries are proud to have employees that have stayed with us for many years. Some even longer than 50 years in our companies. We are proud of our people and the whole Volker Stevin family – join our team and find out why!
|Reports to:||Corporate Controller|
|Direct Report:||Manager, Corporate Accounting|
The Assistant Controller, Corporate will support the Corporate Controller in supervising the accounting and finance department, and coordinating financial reporting and accounting activities/processes for all companies.
This individual will have in-depth knowledge of financial policies, processes and controls, and perform management reporting/analysis within the ERP and other financial systems. The Assistant Controller, Corporate is responsible for ensuring timely and accurate information, and providing data analysis to support in strategic decision-making. The Assistant Controller, Corporate will identify strengths and opportunities for improvement within business processes and the Company’s control framework in order to minimize risk and increase the quality of financial information. In addition, the Assistant Controller, Corporate will demonstrate strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with internal stakeholders in a matrix environment.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for supporting the Corporate Controller with daily supervision of accounting and finance functions for the Calgary office, and ensuring consistency between all groups in North America.
- Assist the Corporate Controller with leading change efforts on Business Transformation (new ERP system implementation, with aligned business practices and organizational structures)
- Responsible for timely and accurate IFRS financial reporting requirements per the parent company and other internal/external parties
- Provide ongoing support for operating companies and related divisional controllers and their teams through acting as another liaison or point of contact in Corporate
- Provide regular coaching and mentoring for a team of accounting and finance professionals
- Assist with quarterly, interim and year end audit working paper preparation/requirements
- Supervision of the month end and quarterly financial close process and timelines for all companies
- Ensure that financial reporting and reconciliations are accurate and completed on a timely basis
- Prepare monthly consolidated financial statements and other consolidated information
- Preparation of monthly and quarterly written management reports for submission to the parent company
- Supervise the processes and ensure accuracy around complex accounting areas such as: decommissioning obligations, standard costing of asphalt/aggregate inventory, capital treatment of finance/operating leases, impairment of tangible and intangible assets, equity investments, overhead allocations, etc
- Assist with Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Reporting to the parent company on a quarterly basis. Monitor processes and contact with key owners to increase accuracy of our metrics over time.
- Assist the Corporate Controller and Credit and Cash Manager with performing cash forecasting and analyzing working capital and DSO metrics to effectively manage cash needs
- Maintain accounting policy and procedures and control process documentation. Continually optimize procedures and processes to achieve greater efficiencies, and accuracy in the level and timeliness of reporting, as well as drive full utilization of ERP capabilities.
- Prepare annual budgets and regular forecasts for the parent company and assist with consolidating results and monitoring actual results against budgets/forecasts for all companies
- Support the Corporate Controller with managing general accounting/corporate functions, consolidations/intercompany, investment accounting, payroll, treasury, insurance, risk management, taxable benefits reporting, overhead allocations, analysis of results, etc.
- Support Divisional Controllers with financial statement preparation and supporting schedules for the year end audit
- Lead strategic, implementation, and technical accounting support for other special projects as needed by the Corporate Controller, Divisional Controllers, and/or CFO
- Identify, investigate, and resolve discrepancies identified in financial or operational information, coordinating efforts with Controllers and Managers as needed
- Maintain a high level of organization on all aspects of the ERP and financial systems, and data management, and assist in managing change around new processes to ensure they are working as anticipated and report/correct any deviations
- Demonstrate value added/solution driven approach with respect to issues identified in accounting practices and business practices.
- Represent the business in a professional, helpful and confidential demeanor at all times
- Respond to all internal and external inquiries in a timely and professional manner
- Exhibits a success driven approach in problem solving any pressing issues or questions
- Work closely with external and internal customers to provide accurate and timely information to meet their needs (includes assistance to our operating companies)
- Collaborate, coordinate, guide and support team of accounting and finance professsionals at a high level of service delivery.
- Maintain a high level of organization on all aspects of data management
- Ensure appropriate documentation, support, working papers and reconciliations are maintained
- Review month end schedules and reconciliations on a timely basis
- Ensure journal entries prepared by the accounting team are supported and reviewed as pertains to the role of the Assistant Controller, Corporate.
- Assist with management of a team of accountants professionals by providing ongoing performance management, supported by on-going, real time feedback, goal setting and career planning
- Ensure direct reports are aware of their duties and responsibilities as related to their position
- Ensure that performance management timelines and duties, with the support of HR, are adhered to
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA, CPA or equivalent) required
- Relevant post-secondary business degree in accounting or finance
- Excellent technical accounting knowledge and application in IFRS and Canadian ASPE frameworks
- 6+ years of relevant financial reporting and/or public accounting experience, including solid experience with accounting, tax and audit. Experience must include expertise in consolidation and investment accounting, as well as financial reporting for a publicly listed company.
- 4+ years of experience in a senior accounting role directly managing teams with various skill sets
- Advanced management accounting skills, including experience with construction projects, an asset
- Ability to lead, motivate, mentor and develop a large team in a high growth company
- Strong analytical and problem skills
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience in construction industry, an asset
- Microsoft Office proficiency (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Advanced Excel skills, including but not limited to Pivot tables and V-Lookup
- Experience with SQL, an asset
- Experience with Vista by Viewpoint ERP, Microsoft Dynamics or other relevant ERP system, an asset.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Be an agent of change through continuous improvement thought process
- Highly ethical, acts with integrity
- Strong relationship building skills and team player
- Proactive, positive attitude
- Developed Emotional Intelligence (the learned ability to identify, experience, understand, and express human emotions in healthy and productive ways)
- Solution driven approach
- Self motivated, energetic and able to learn quickly
- High degree of assertiveness and diplomacy
- Excellent communication skills – sharing information with team, clarifying and managing expectations, keeping supervisor and team abreast of overall status of responsibilities
- Proven leadership experience, able to influence positive outcomes amidst varied opinions, skill sets and agendas
- Ability to make decisions considering the consequences to the overall organization, department and staff
- Ability to adapt and respond to requests in a flexible and thoughtful manner
- Ability to contribute in meetings and discussions, maintaining a professional image at all times
- Ability to lead meetings and discussions, maintaining a professional image at all times
- Ability to identify key issues, propose and implement solutions
- Results oriented on tasks and on communication
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create, model and lead within a results-driven, team oriented environment
- Focus on continuous improvement and operational excellence
Volker Stevin is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. Volker Stevin welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and Volker Stevin throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:APBU-231734 Assistant Controller | Volker Stevin Canada - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.