Assistant Vice President, Taxation – Canadian Western Bank
Canadian Western Bank (CWB) provides expert advice and specialized financial services for business banking, personal banking and wealth management. Since 1984, they have grown from a single branch operating in Edmonton, Alberta to a western-based, federally regulated financial institution with a national presence.
Their relationship-based approach means that their people know their clients, the industries, and they ask the right questions to provide the right financial solutions. Through their network of branches, offices and mobile relationship teams in more than 50 communities across Canada, they are helping their clients grow their businesses, manage their money and realize their financial potential.
Canadian Western Bank, strives to build value for their people, their clients and their investors. They do this by holding true to the values that guide them. CWB puts people first and builds relationships with intention. They seek out and embrace new ideas, knowing that better is always possible. They know that how they do things is as important as what is done. And they harness the power of inclusion.
For more information on CWB, please visit their website: www.cwb.com
|Job Title:||Assistant Vice President, Taxation|
|Reports to:||Vice President, Finance & Chief Accountant|
|Direct Reports:||2; Senior Taxation Managers|
|Location:||Edmonton, AB or Calgary, AB|
The Assistant Vice President, Taxation with the support of the Vice President Finance and Chief Accountant will be responsible for the oversight, management, and execution of all CWB Financial Group’s tax needs.
Among these responsibilities are the compliance of CWB Financial Group’s income and commodity tax. CWB Financial Group’s income tax reporting in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). Provision of subject matter expertise and guidance for non-routine business transactions.
- Provide coaching and development support for tax team members;
- Manage team members performance ensuring department deliverables are met;
- Support the Vice President Finance and Chief Accountant, Chief Financial Officer, and senior leadership within the Finance Team and CWB Financial Group operations with all projects that require tax input; and
- Inspire trust by being open, honest and direct in communication, meeting commitments and behaving ethically in all dealings.
Communication & Relationship Management:
- Develop and manage strong working relationships with the Business Lines across the organization and apply research to their specific tax questions;
- Act with integrity, deliver on promises and demonstrate unique knowledge that adds value for key internal and external stakeholders;
- Manage, support and communicate with the strategy and business development project teams regarding tax structuring for both organic growth and acquisition projects, agreement review and economic modeling;
- Lead by example and recognize our internal and external clients’ sense of urgency and priority though effective collaboration; and
- Lead the communication with Business Line leaders across the organization to ensure they are maintaining compliance in all tax jurisdictions.
- Oversee the appropriateness of the quarterly and year-end tax provisions for CWB Financial Group as disclosed in external financial statements; and including the review of detailed tax workbooks;
- Provide support for financial statement disclosures as required by IFRS;
- Oversee the identification of tax exposures and ensure appropriate considerations are made in the determination of tax provisions; and
- Liaise with external auditors for the quarterly reviews and annual audit with respect to all tax related matters.
- Manage relationships with tax authorities including managing tax audits and settlement negotiation of disputed issues;
- Oversees compliance with tax department controls, updating as necessary and providing required documentation to internal and external auditors;
- Complies with third-party risk management policies and procedures;
- Direct staff in the development of responses to inquiries from tax authorities; and
- Monitors appropriate conclusion to tax audits.
- Oversight of the tax team to ensure all required tax returns, reports, and payments for both income tax and indirect tax are filed correctly, timely, and with the appropriate documentation to support tax calculations and positions taken; including the review of detailed tax workbooks;
- Determine appropriate tax treatment and documentation of business transactions including assessing the impact of complex and non-routine transactions. This requires working with the CWB Financial Group Accounting teams to gain a full understanding of the accounting treatment and reporting;
- Provide support and guidance to the tax team related to organizational changes that may impact tax reporting; and
- Research impacts of future legislative changes and identifies the impact on tax reporting processes and business operations for CWB Financial Group.
Research and Planning:
- Provide analysis of the tax impact of proposed transactions and develop a tax efficient approach;
- Direct the activities of outside counsel and advisors on tax related issues;
- Summarize and present tax information to various areas of the company and respond to inquiries from the business areas;
- Provides guidance on proposed or enacted tax legislation, including staying current on emerging issues;
- Develop appropriate tax planning initiatives/strategies and recommendations to ensure the most effective tax position for the company; and
- Conduct in-depth research, analysis and direction for complex tax issues and potential tax exposures related to (a) transactions; (b) operations; (c) mergers, acquisitions & dispositions; and (d) other areas with significant tax consequences.
- Interesting and diverse tax work across a variety of different business units with differing business models;
- Join a well respected tax group where balance exists between tax compliance, planning and provisions;
- CWB is a growing progressive company interested in personal and professional growth;
- A relatively new executive team exists that is focused on innovation and new thinking in a growth focused and dynamic business; and
- Significant exposure and interaction with the executive team and business unit leaders.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Successfully build cohesive and collaborative relationships with other business leaders in the organization and build trusting relationships and cohesion across multidisciplinary teams;
- Completion of current audit and leasing projects for CWB; and
- Mentor, support and develop direct reports, managing objective setting, performance evaluations and career coaching activities.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- University Degree with a CPA designation is required;
- CPA In-Depth Tax Course Level 3 or Masters in Tax; and
- CPA In-Depth GST/HST Tax course.
- 8 years minimum senior tax experience;
- 3 years minimum leading a team of tax professionals; and
- Experience at a Financial Institution is an asset.
Competencies and Attributes
- Tax Acumen: Understands key tax legislation, GST/HST, and an in-depth understanding of relevant legislation. Takes responsibility for all aspects of tax including its analysis, reporting, and delivery.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with all levels of the organization. Open to receiving constructive feedback and willing to engage in robust healthy discussion to foster the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Cultivates Innovation: Pays attention to what customers want and need – new and improved products, services, solutions, and experiences. Taking initiative and collaborating with people who have diverse points of view.
- Develops Talent: Developing the team to meet both their career goals and CWB goals. Creating pools of people ready and willing to take on new challenges and step up when needed.
- Drives Results: Infusing the team and organizations with a sense of urgency. Creating a culture where organizational performance is always top of mind. Communicating a vision, setting priorities, developing and executing plans that achieve the desired outcome for CWB.
- Leadership: Collaborative leader that provides the coaching, support, encouragement and direction required to engage and empower employees in the accomplishment of project goals and objectives. Models positive leadership behaviors and maintains professionalism under pressure and uncertainty. Provides timely feedback and guidance to employees, ensuring their development and success is supported. Ability to adapt leadership style to different audiences as needed.
- Strategic Leadership: Fosters the development of a common vision providing clear direction and priorities and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Sets the tone for the organization’s culture and ensures succession in management and leadership.
- Strategic Planning: Develops short and long-range plans that are comprehensive, creative, realistic and effective in meeting goals and objectives, and integrates planning efforts across functions.
CWB is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and enriches our work, our community, and is essential to operational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Optimum Talent and CWB throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AJRB-764145 Assistant Vice President, Taxation – Canadian Western Bank - AB - Calgary and AreaAB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.